In a past post of mine I described my great obsession with Parks and Recreation (click here for that post!). That mixed with my recent moving back into school, and therefore dorm life, an inner state of mind has been reawaken from a summer off. Often while at school it can be so easy to get caught up in the classes, grades, social life, clubs, and for some athletics. It can easy to forget about the important, bigger things such as your physical and mental health. Besides the issue of so much pressure ebbing placed on education and grades, it can often be near back breaking to try to be so many things at once that we can forget to take care of ourselves. So I have made a promise to myself (and perhaps you would like to join me) to think f myself a little more. Not in a selfish way, but rather in a good job to me. It can be so easy to say good job to others, but often we save the worst criticisms for ourselves (something I am very guilty of) Here are a few ideas on how to, in the words of Tom Haverford, Treat Yo’ Self!
- Perhaps take a day off from your rigorous exercise schedule to let your body rest. Often we can get so caught up in being tin the perfect shape that we tune out the voice of our body, and end up hurting ourselves in the long run. A day off for soreness can be good and bring you back even stronger!
- If you find yourself with your face in a book all the time, your brain may deserve a break. Go for walk outside or catch up with a friend outside of the library. Set time aside for you to gather your thoughts and a little peace of mind, The books will still be there! And who knows you might stumble upon some of your most creative ideas once you take that step outside the box.
- Look out for yourself. Sometimes we can get so caught up in everything we are doing we forget about the basics. Even when it comes to our health!No matter what end of the spectrum you are on it is important to make sure we are taking care of ourselves for the now and the future. Here is an outline of what should get checked when (I am the first o admit that sometimes I am not even sure what I should be expecting at the doctors)! It can be easy to push things out of our minds either out of convenience or fear, but it is important to get regular check ups so your body can keep up with you doing an amazing job at being you! But don’t think that something like health is something you can’t pair with your friends. Girlfriends got to stick together!( Click here for a few ways you can be there for your friend!) You can help each other look out of one another, in ways big and small!
- Treating yourself goes along best while doing it with a best friend! Here are some of my favorites:
- Getting your nails done!
- Finding the best ice cream place in town
- Going on a hike to apace you have never been
- Going to a new type of exercise class together…why not try zumba!
- Trying a brand new restaurant or even a new style of food!
- Plan a spa day
- Buy a new book (random or one anticipated) and set aside time even during your busy days to read it
- Treat yourself to a new something whether it be a clothing item you love and makes you love yourself more or a new pair of shoes that you’ve been in love with for a while.
IT can be so easy to forget to put ourselves first, in nearly all aspects of our lives fro health and fitness to reminding ourselves that we are doing a great job! What are some of your favorite ways to treat yourself?